Tuesday, November 10, 2009

This time I vote...a hundred times

Since attaining the legal age, I only voted once.I could not recall who I voted for in 1992 but certainly I did not vote for former Pres. Fidel Ramos. I admired some of the senatoriables then but I didn't find time to vote until my name was eventually written off from Comelec's official list.

Having spent much of my times away from home in the past, I wondered one night at some of the family members who stayed awake til early morning of the voting day. First, I thought they were just excited about the big political event to unfold in the country the following day. Later I found out they were waiting for the much awaited "knock" from the messengers of different politicos who brought in "cash gifts" at our doorsteps. At voting day's closing, each of the family members got a cash gift inventory ranging from P1,500 to P2,500-depending on how close the political fight was. I envied them. Had my name included in the list I could have received the same bounty they got, I thought. But because I despised the credibility of the electoral process in the country in the past, the envy became an affirmation of my political belief then --of my being not part of the rotten political exercise.

But things have changed. Not so long ago, I finally had my name in the Comelec validated. And I'm voting. Yes. Who will I vote for? Noynoy Aquino? Chiz Escudero? Gibo Teodoro? Bayani Fernando? For presidentiables come May 10, I still have to make up my mind. But I'm voting now. Yes, I'm voting for Efren Penaflorida. He is a Filipino who was among those shortlisted in CNN's Heroes, a search for ordinary people who have made extraordinary deeds in their respective communities around the globe.

He is head of the Dynamic Teen Company which has been doing education work for more than a decade now among the street kids in Cavite using their mobile classroom "kariton."

He has been featured in many shows and received recognitions from both local and international organizations for his exemplary work. This time at CNN, Efren or F! to his friends stands among the heroes from 9 other countries for the ultimate search that counts online votes. So, if you feel voting for this man, please do now. (How to vote? Please see widget linked next to this entry)

Efren epitomizes sacrifice and exemplary deed of a real public servant. Efren deserves our vote because he is totally different from most of our politicians. Efren begins his day serving the poor first and ends up becoming their hero, while the politicians want to be heroes first before serving the poor.

I am voting now. And I'm voting for Efren...a hundred times. Yes, a hundred times. There's no limit in casting of votes in this search, according to announcements.

2 comments:

  1. mars,
    daug jud c efren penaflorida! mabuhay! kapila ka kabotar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i voted 5 time for f!

    ReplyDelete