Monday, November 16, 2009

Surprised

I was driving towards Oroquieta City one morning. Upon reaching the junction of Brgy. Sta Maria,in Tangub City I was flagged down by a team of LTO operatives who manned the checkpoint. 'Here they are again,' I thought figuring out how much would I give out just to be let to pass despite the litany of violations that this office is known to be notoroius for creating just to exact "tips" from motorists.

As I slowed down towards the road's right shoulder, one operative who seemed to have difficulty moving because of his belly's weight smiled and greeted me: "Good morning sir." Did I hear it right? I looked at my back to check if some dignitary looking guy was about to pass their checkpoint. Nobody at my back. Another personnel got near and smiled and greeted me "Good morning sir!" as he hinted that I present my travel credentials.

I had passed many checkpoints of LTO in the past and this phenomenon of courtesy appeared surprising to me. To myself I figured out: 'Tagpila kaha ni ilang good morning no?' I smiled back to him and silently prepared my documents.

"Sir, you lack CR (certificate of registration)that should accompany the receipt of renewal," the bulging guy told me. "So..?" I replied, waiting for him to cite the amount that would "normally" be asked from erring motorists like me.

He did not say any word and I for that, was surprised again. Instead he courteously directed me to see their "chief" who was just sitting nearby, busy conversing with some motorists who must had troubles with traffic rules. Then I thought, It would be this man who will say the amount. As I got nearer, he dismissed those he conversed with earlier and extended his arm to a handshake. I graciously accepted the courtesy, smiled and wandered where would this all end up to.

The guy was on his early 40's who was addressed as "chief" by his men. He formally introduced himself and there I learned that he was Mr. Wendell Fuentes, chief of operations of Tangub LTO Office.

He did not ask from me anything except for me to bring the CR whenever I travel. "For your protection," he explained. He advised me further to see him or any other "trusted" LTO personnel whenever I got problems with processing LTO documents.

"Avoid LTO fixers who are plenty, moonlighting in several LTO offices in our place," was his last word.

I left their checkpoint and the amazement I just experienced kept flashing back until I reached Oroquieta that day. And until now...

No comments:

Post a Comment